Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Now which gym...

Lucky for me, at work we have a great gym. This includes a price that cannot be beat, good classes, free towels, nice locker rooms, decent equipment, and an indoor track. Problem is, the hours are limited in the summer (this is the trade-off for the blessed absence of students)... and what is a girl in marathon training to do? I ended up, like my good friend Sasha, now belonging to more than one gym.

This deal came my way, for a month and a half of Healthworks (all women's gym, in Cambridge among other locations) for $18. I used to belong here, but it got waaaaay to expensive. Once the rate hit $80 a month, I was DONE, but for $18 who can resist? It is worth it for a quick yoga session on the weekends, or a spin class, or just some elliptical. These have been my three cross training activities of choice and so far seemed to have contributed to my increased speed. Much more so than running, I have to force myself to spin or elliptical-it. At least spinning has fun music (with the exception of the dude who played Nickelback or some sort of horrible stuff, to his credit he said "If you like Nickelback you are going to LOVE this, if you don't, you are NOT.") and someone forcing me to push myself to the threshold, which otherwise I would not. Yoga continues to be awesome, and I now need my fix every week or I get really antsy. I may be pushing it up to two times a week when I can fit it in.

Anyone have any good cardio/low-impact x-training alternatives? I think in a few months I will definitely need to mix it up.

2 comments:

  1. Stepmill, baby. NOT the stairmaster, which sucks. You can't cheat on the stepmill and at a high intensity, it is a better workout than running with a lower impact. I use it for 45 minutes, row for 25 and then lift on my off days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stepmill it is! I've been scared of that thing.

    ReplyDelete