Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Arrgh humidity!

We have been spoiled this summer... here it is July 27th and it is officially the first week where I dread my runs on account of heat and humidity. It is taking some getting used to, but I am chugging along. I fully expect this week to be my slowest in quite some time, but as long as I log the miles I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Since I've last blogged (which has been much too long ago), I've reached some milestones. I've run 12 miles in training, which went surprisingly well. I was on a weekend away in Western Mass, but I found a decent route from Northampton to Easthampton. Although part of the route was on a busy, ugly road (Rt. 10), I quickly found some scenic farmland at the bottom of Mt. Tom and the Easthampton bike path. On the way back to downtown Noho I was lucky enough to run into the farmers market and the most awesome whole chocolate milk from a local vendor. Sooo goood.

Last weekend I ran the Blessing of the Fleet 10 miler in Narragansett. My friend Sasha and I had a relaxing day on the beach, and this being an evening race... we were not exactly "feeling" the racing vibe. This was my longest and first night-time event... and I was happy with my performance. According to my trusty Garmin I came in around 1:32:19, but my official time was 1:33:19. Averaging around 9:20 miles! It took some time to get over the starting line, but from there it was good and steady. The views were nice, the crowds were really fun. The only incredibly boring bit was on Point Judith Road, nothing to look at, no shade and not as much crowd support. After the race, once I got home to the beach house, I was feeling really crappy. Chills, nausea, etc. A wee bit scary. I'm not sure if the chills are from dehydration... but I hit almost every water stop. I'll have to keep an eye on this for upcoming training runs. Other than this my legs and feet felt fine so hopefully I can slug through the marathon itself. It now scares me that I have to race 16.2 additional miles in just over two months. I can't believe how fast training has gone by.

No comments:

Post a Comment