Friday, October 2, 2009

So here we are...

Less than 37 hours until the race. How am I feeling? I'm feeling good, and relatively positive about the whole thing. What are my expectations? To finish, less than 5 hours would be ideal, but beyond that I am not putting any pressure on myself. Even then, pressure is minimal. It is enough of a personal accomplishment that I am even attempting this. Weather looks good (for now). Overcast and into the 60s. We all know I can take crazy rainy conditions, so if a shower comes to pass, I am not freaked out. I have my race gear set, my race plan (take it easy for the first 13, 11 minute miles... and see how I feel from there). This will all be very conservative. I want to still love running after this!!!

My friend Sasha, who is also running in Portland, (who has been such an inspiration to me by the way, juggling kids with marathon training AND attempting a Boston Qualifying time, yowzas!) commented that people aren't surprised that she is doing this... or saying "haven't you run a marathon before?" as she is very fit and very driven. This is decidedly not the case with me because I think people truly cannot believe I am doing this, with good reason. Those that have known me since childhood would not have guessed I would attempt such a thing. Maybe it seems more believable if you have known me as an adult, but who am I kidding? No, you too are shocked. So, I say to Sasha, take this nonchalance as a complement, but I must admit, that this surprise, support and even disbelief from my friends and family has been very much welcomed!

Today my co-workers threw me a pre-marathon party, which couldn't have been nicer! Lots of yummy food, and good conversation and company. The number of people who are behind me in the endeavour are unbelievable (as seen above). I've said it before, but it bears repeating, I am so lucky to have such great people in my life. Nothing like pushing yourself to your physical limits to make you realize how good you have it!

I also can't forget who I am really running for, my Dad, Jim. I get emotional just thinking about it, he would be so proud. He would have mapped everything out for me, he would have put together a spectating plan, he would have been armed with supplies for the race, he would have been SO EXCITED. I know he will be with me in spirit, but I would do almost anything to have him there when I cross that finish line. I miss you Dad, and please watch over me Sunday morning, I'll be thinking of you for sure.

As for the rest of you, I promise to give you a blow-by-blow post race, once I can function on a vaguely literate level again (and walk to the computer).Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Emilie. I cannot wait to see you this weekend. I know we will both be happy even if we are not. Your dad and my mom will be psyched:)

    ReplyDelete