Monday, October 5, 2009

Race Report Part 1: Pre-Race

Saturday: We got up early... I prepared my various race day stuff, and made our way to Maine in the pouring rain. Kevin insisted we stop at the Maine Diner, one of his friends from Fox is obsessed with the place, so it had to be done. Kevin went all out with lobster stew and lobster roll, while I kept it simple with eggs and corned beef hash. Except that I never order corned beef hash, as it reminds me of cat and/or dog food but it actually tastes yummy and has enough salt in it to make me not worry about salt intake for the rest of my days.

Once we hit Portland we picked up my number and rode the route... Poor Kev had to be in charge of our spectators so we needed a lay of the land. Still, it was pouring. Please please please don't be like this on race day I thought! The course was beautiful though, so I had this to look forward to.

Checked into the hotel, checked in on my legion of fans, including my Mom, Uncle and Aunt from NY, Uncle from RI with my little cousin Lucy, Kevin's parents, and my sister-in-law Linda. I went with Kev's fam to visit Shipyard Brewery, where I ran into an old friend from college, and watched as others drank beer. I'd been t-totaling the week before the race... this stunk although I did sneak a sip of Pumpkinhead! Also went for a bit of shopping in downtown Portland which was lovely, and took my mind off this whole thing where I had to run 26.2 miles in less than 24 hours.

We met with the rest of the clan and went to dinner at Ribollita, an intimate Italian place which was so awesome and so accommodating with our large crowd. The food was perfect for a pre-race dinner. I had roasted chicken puttanesca with homemade pasta, lots of bread and some appetizers. Again the wine was flowing and I did not partake, but the water was refreshing. Bah! Who am I kidding, I wanted a drink!

We were back at the hotel early (8ish) and I was able to spend time with Sasha and Rob, being that Sasha was also running the next day. We were both freaking out a bit and it was great to sit around and laugh for an hour or so.

As I laid out my race gear, the rain continued, with lightning and thunder for good measure. I was in bed by 10, then I woke up around 3am, but fell back asleep by 3:30 or 4. I had to have a stress dream about sleeping late and missing the start of the marathon, but woke up right before my alarm at 6am.

Full race report is next...

1 comment:

  1. The spectator-wrangling went well, so I'm glad we got our lay of the land!

    ReplyDelete