Monday, October 19, 2009

Recovery and Vacation Running

A mere four days after the race, I made my first post-marathon run attempt at home. This was an extremely easy run for 2 miles on Thursday morning. My left hamstring seemed to have recovered (although I made sure to go to yoga on Wednesday and stretch, stretch, stretch).

Later that evening Kevin and I boarded a plane and went to New Zealand! We arrived in Auckland on Saturday morning, and jet lag led to a wake up call at 5am on Sunday. I decided to take a run on the Tamaki Drive, along the harbor. I watched the sunrise and couldn't help make it 5 miles. I did pay for this with a sore right thigh for a few days afterward. I also then noticed that I have a blueish toenail - the second toenail on the right foot. Oh noes! I thought I avoided a nail casualty, and although two weeks later it is still hanging on, I haven't exactly touched it with a ten foot pole as I would rather it not be pulled off unless it just falls off. Uck! I am close to painting my toenails tonight to just avoid having to look at it, I am in denial about its possible sad fate.

Anyhow, I took a break from running in Queenstown (our next stop), and found it impossible to run on our boat cruise (duh) to Doubtful Sound, which was much fun and beautiful and unbelievable looking. There was some exercise with a kayaking trip, which I found to be difficult but fun. I was extremely pokey.

Once in Christchurch there was a park and garden where I took another spin for 3 miles. I was officially feeling back to normal at this point. Another harbor run in Wellington (Oriental Bay) for 4 miles or so... and a treacherous hilly run in Ponsonby back in Auckland. Literally on top of a huge steep hill, this neighborhood was a challenge. You need to work on hills, this is your place. I was afraid of both dark clouds approaching and injury due to excessive hill-work and cut this run short.

Today I was back at home and ran a 5 miler! Officially feeling back to normal and relatively jet lag free so far! Marathon and quickly followed by an across-the-world adventure - it can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment