Monday, June 1, 2009

So I did it.

10 miles yesterday... a run from my house to Fresh Pond and back. Just a trip down to Davis Sq., on the bike trail to Rindge Ave., down the busy parkway for a bit and around the reservoir. I had only run there once before (for a race), and I really enjoyed it this time around! Dogs were rolling in the mud, kids were on bikes, wildflowers were in bloom, and there were a number of water fountains en route. Unfortunately this run was only around 8.5 miles, leaving me with 1.5 miles to run around my neighborhood. This would be OK except that my house is practically surrounded on all sides by hills, and I had already just run up to my 'hood and was pretty wiped out. I knew if I went in any direction I would have to go down a hill and come back up. It was my most difficult run yet! I'm sure I'll be eating those words in a few weeks. I'll run this route again for sure, but next time take two spins around Fresh Pond so I can run (or walk) into my driveway and be done with it.

This weekend I also went to the Team in Training kick-off. Everyone was very nice, and I was happy to hear that I am ahead of the game in terms of mileage. Being my type-A self I would have never signed up for the program with no mileage under my belt. I know plenty of people do this (and do it well) but it would totally freak me out. The coach said to stay at the mileage I am at now and wait for them to catch up with me - sounds good! 10 miles was hard so I'm happy to stay there until July. I'm going to have to start concentrating on cross-training too. Yoga doesn't count! So sad. Spinning may be in my future?

No comments:

Post a Comment