Monday, June 22, 2009

Fantastic Running Weekend


I've been continuing my training pretty religiously, with x-training and building up mileage, and I can actually see that it is paying off! Although it wasn't a great beach weekend, it sure was an awesome running weekend, cool and overcast. I enjoyed a relaxing ten miler in Matunuck (at my in-laws beach shack), and then my fastest 5k yet, 26:38 on Sunday!

On my ten mile run I found my way to the Trustom Pond Refuge, where I did some trail running and wildlife watching. Getting up at 6am (when I actually saw the sun for the only time this weekend!!) has its perks. I saw deer bounding through the woods, a snapping turtle trying to find his way back in the water, chipmunks, bunnies, squirrels, and a lot of birds. Speaking of the birds, I really need to get myself a field guide to birds, because I am a great big nerd. By the time I was heading back to the beach the fog had rolled in, but I am pretty sure my last mile was my fastest.

Sunday was perfect for a good fast race (Will Speck Memorial Race in Cranston, RI). It was a rolling course and I bested my last 5k time (which was way back in February) by almost 3 minutes - from 29:17 to 26:38. Training pays off! In some sort of freak occurrence this wound up being 8th in my age group. Woo!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Em. Shaving almost three minutes like that is kind of unheard of. I can't believe how fast the top guy ran it, too! Good day for a fast race, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty psyched about my time I have to say. I also forgot to mention that I was trailing these two guys the whole race, and at the end I kicked it up and passed them. All the while someone on the sidelines was yelling "beat her! beat her!" They didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahha. That is the best. Congrats. It is a huge accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete